Black History: Special Delivery!!
Black Mail Fast Facts: (From NBA.com)
The NBA shares a number of interesting sports related Black History Facts. Check them out below:
- 1968 First African American referee in the NBA (Ken Hudson)
- 1971-72 First African American bench coach named (Earl Lloyd, Detroit Pistons)
- 1972 First African American NBA General Manager named (Wayne Embry). He is the first black General Manager in professional sports.
- 1972 First African American owner/coach elected to Basketball Hall of Fame as a significant contributor to the sport (Bob Douglass, New York Renaissance)
- 1972 Title IX legislation prohibits sexual discrimination and mandates funding equity for women in sports in all federal funded educational facilities.
- 1972 First African American head coach to win a NCAA Division I championship (John Thompson, Georgetown University)
- 1997 First Season of the newly established WNBA, the sister league to the NBA
- 2002 First African American owner of an NBA franchise team (Robert Johnson, Charlotte Bobcats)
Check out more black history facts from The NBA:
Check out some of our earlier posts:
Annie Lee: African American Artist Who Captured Black Americana Through Her Paintings
Mississippi Appendectomy: History of Involuntary Sterilization of African American Women
NASA Mathematician Recieves Medal of Honor