Black History: Special Delivery!!
Lemington Elder Care Services (LECS) was founded on July 4, 1883, in Pittsburgh, PA. It was one of the first Homes For The Aged that cared for black women in America. It was also the oldest continuously operated nursing homes in the United States.
In 1877, Mary Peck Bond discovered that her friend “Aunt Peggy” was living in a damp basement. Aunt Peggy was 100 years old and was also formerly enslaved. With the help of friends, Bond and her friends were able to find an apartment for Aunt Peggy. Thus, Lemington was born. Bond and her friends raised money for years until they were able to purchase a home to care for elderly. 4 residents were admitted on the first day (including Aunt Peggy). In 1983, a new 33 bed home was built on Lemington Avenue and the home was renamed Lemington Home For The Aged.
Services expanded at the new location including, the establishment of a senior center funded by Area Agency on Aging as well as an inter-generational program bringing children and the elderly together. The Center also opened an 80 unit independent senior living complex. The facility sat on 12 acres and is the first African American sponsored long term care organization in the U.S. on one campus offering a continuum of care. Lemington provided services to the community regardless of financial status. Lemington closed in 2005 due to financial issues after being open for over 120 years.